My latest projects

I decided because I'm having so much fun with my new sewing machine, and I'm so proud of myself...I just had to share some of my latest projects. I haven't sewn anything from the beginning yet, with patterns and all. I have just done lots of modifications. I've hemmed a lot of pants, and taken in the sides of shirts that didn't fit right, and altered some stuff. I've always gotten a great sense of satisfaction when buying or getting clothes that need a little love, or that I wouldn't use otherwise, and fixing them. Even if it's just that they have a small hole. I get most of our clothes at thrift stores or clothing swaps, so that's why I have stuff that I end up with that doesn't fit, or work the way it is.

Anyway, here we go. Sorry about the blurry, and not so great pictures. Photography is not a talent I possess.

This is a long black shirt I had that always had to have a shirt under it, and the sleeves were still a little too short for comfort.
I took a cute little pink and black polka-dotted shirt (that was too small) that came with a cute black vest and took the vest off to wear with whatever I want, cut up the shirt, and attached it to the needed places on the black shirt. Then I added a few ruffles at the neck and sleeves with some elastic thread, and with extra fabric and a black button, I made a matching to pin. This one is unfortunately cuter laying then it is on =0(.


This is a pink shirt I had that again, always had to have a shirt under it, because it was too short.

So I took a white and pink polka-dotted shirt that was too small, cut off the bottom, and attached it to the bottom of the pink shirt. The pink dots happened to match the other pink perfectly.
Then I took the extra material, and a pink bead, and made a pin to match.
Both of the shirts are a lot cooler now that I don't have to layer.

I don't have any before pictures. Sorry. When I get the idea in my head I just kind of do it.

This one was a little jumper I grabbed. I thought maybe I'd wear it with a white shirt under it, and black leggings, because on me it would be a super short mini dress. Anyway, it didn't fit right, so I cut the top off, and made it into a skirt. Add a thick black ruffly belt, and you're set.

This one started as a jumper as well. Kind of a funny style, and a weird length on me, so I never wore it, but I loved the colors and pattern. I finally figured out what to do with it. I cut off the bottom, and made myself a long drawstring skirt. Love it!

I'm limited in my thread colors still, so you can see the white thread around the top, but that will always be covered by a shirt anyway.

I also cut off the top of a black velvet dress I've had forever, and just made it into a long skirt.


Now onto Tegan fun =0). My mom gave me a few things that my grandmother was giving away. Older styles, and stuff that wouldn't fit, but I looked at it all and thought.... project.

The first is a dark maroon skirt that fit around my waist, but was too short, and not my style. So I cut it down, sewed it back together, and made a skirt for Tegan.
It looks like she has no arms, but they are behind her back.

She LOVES it. It's a really flowy material, so she calls it her princess skirt. She's been wearing it off and on for 3 days now.


This next one was a big collared shirt, but I thought it had a cute fake eyelet pattern. I cut off the top, and made a kind of bubble skirt for Tegan.
It's a little weird I know. I didn't actually know what I was doing. I just made it up as I went along.

This next one is so cute. It was a blue skirt of my grandma's that when my mom pulled out, Tegan wanted to dress up in. As soon as she put it on, I saw jumper. So, I cut it to fit her, and added some straps.
The straps are from the blue plaid jumper I made myself the drawstring skirt out of.


My sister-in-law and I swap kids clothes, so they go through a few kids, and start to get pretty worn out. This was a pair of jeans that were starting to get holes in the knees, and they were just too adorable to cut up, or get rid of, so I attempted patches. I thought they turned out pretty good. I just did it by hand, and I knew they'd do the frayed look on the edges. They've been through the wash a few times. So far so good.

Knowing that I could do patches, I got another pair of really nice jeans that got a little hole in the knee, took the leftover fabric from that blue plaid jumper =0), folded it into rectangles, and sewed them on.




They are still a little big on Tegan, so the patches look too low.

I think mostly everybody has seen these, but I thought I'd post them anyway. It's a couple big lace flowers that I just hot glued together. I made one into a clip for Tegan that she's worn a few times, and one into a big pin for me...that I have yet to wear =0). Here's the tutorial on how to make them if you want to try it. They are super easy. My mom just grabbed me a bunch of new lace at the thrift store so I'm excited to do more stuff.



Well, that's all the most recent stuff. I'll post again if I do anything else.

Here's a site that is always so fun to go to and see what she has created, or saved from older stuff. She's definitely more talented than I, but I find it all very inspirational. Ruffles and Stuff

No comments: