Sewing Day

I had a sewing day yesterday. It was actually kind of frustrating at first. I woke up at 6:00...WAY TOO EARLY for me, and couldn't get back to sleep because I had ideas going through my head of what I wanted to do to some stuff. So I got out of bed, and got started. I actually took some before pictures this time.

This is just a pink shirt of Tegan's that had a big hole in the front. I attempted to sew it up, but it looked awful.


So I cut a strip out where the hole was, cut a strip of an old white t-shirt, and sewed it on. Then I used some scraps of an old shirt I had cut the bottom off for another project and made a little flower. The flower kind of looks like a target, but I'm hoping after the fabric rolls or crinkles up a little it'll look better.

This is an old black sweater of my grandmothers. I got it from my mom the same time as that other stuff I modified for Tegan, but I was just going to give this one away. I kind of liked the fringy stuff, but didn't know what I was going to do with it. I was feeling brave though, so here's what I did.

I cut the fringy stuff off, took a bunch of the bulk out of the sides all the way from the bottom through to the sleeves, shortened the sleeves, and then added the fringe back on in different places. So, now it's a more fitted open cardigan with 3/4 sleeves. I added the sleeve fringe back on, then I took the buttons off of one strip of fringe and put it around the neckline, and the other strip that had the button holes I twisted around and made the flower poof on the front.

This is a shirt I grabbed at the thrift store for like 25 cents. It was a back to school sale $3.00 bag day. I got the kids a bunch of school clothes. Anyway, when I got it home it was way too big around, but cute on top.

So I went around it a couple times with elastic thread so that it's fitted under the chest, and took out a couple inches of the bottom on each side. Now, it fits great.

This was a black Down East crew tee that is nice and long, but the neck was so high, so I didn't like to wear it under stuff, and the sleeves are so short I didn't want to just wear it by itself. I decided to try to fix the neckline. I cut out the origional neckline, and pinned it down, and sewed a couple stiches around it.

Then I added some elastic thread across the front for the ruffle look. It's super cute.

I like the black one so much I decided to do it to one of my white shirts, but on this one I also took out the seems of the sleeves and did the elastic thing around them too. Now I have a cute white shirt to go under jumpers and stuff.

I even made a couple more hair things. I saw this done somewhere and decided this shiny glittery fabric left over from Tegan's old cinderella costume that my mom made would be perfect. You cut out the circles then burn the edges with a lighter to make them kind of curl up, and not fray. Hot glue them together and wah lah (hmmm, I don't know how to spell that).

Tegan still in her pajamas, and hair not done, because I spent all day sewing...he he.

I was going to try the circle flower with some left over black sweater too, but I had to stop...you know to make dinner, and clean up. I'll post it when I get them done.

No comments: